Community Conversations Scheduled for Houston Schools Bond Proposition
September 10, 2012- The Houston Independent School District has scheduled 10 Community Conversations for the public to learn more about the district’s proposal to modernize outdated high school buildings and build new schools to meet students’ needs across the city.
The bond proposition is primarily focused on 28 of the district’s high schools but also significantly impacts 10 other school buildings. More details about the proposition can be found on the 2012 Houston Schools Bond website (click here). The measure goes before voters on Nov. 6. Early voting begins Oct. 22.
All informational meetings will take place from 6 to 8 p.m., and will include a presentation followed by a question-and-answer session. The dates and locations are:
· Monday, Sept. 24 – Booker T. Washington High School (119 E. 39th Street) and Bellaire High School (5100 Maple, Bellaire)
· Thursday, Sept. 27 – Davis High School (1101 Quitman) and Dowling Middle School (14000 Stancliff)
· Monday, Oct. 1 – Lee High School (6529 Beverly Hill) and Milby High School (1601 Broadway)
· Tuesday, Oct. 2 – Sharpstown High School (7504 Bissonnet) and Yates High School (3703 Sampson)
· Thursday, Oct. 4 – Austin High School (1700 Dumble) and Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center (4400 W. 18thStreet). The Hattie Mae White session will be broadcast live on HISD TV, Comcast cable channel 18, and AT&T Uverse channel 99.
Questions about the proposition may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The proposal seeks voter approval of a $1.89 billion plan to address the most serious facility needs in 38 schools. The proposal would: