Test your knowledge of prominent people and major events in the news by taking our short 13-question quiz. Then see how you did in comparison with 1,052 randomly sampled adults asked the same questions in a national survey conducted online August 7-14 by the Pew Research Center. The new survey includes a mixture of multiple-choice questions using photographs, maps, charts, and text.
- How President Obama’s Election Helps Women
Women were the coveted demographic during this campaign season, which set new records for advertisement spending and animosity levels. Insensitive comments about “legitimate rape” may have cost Republican candidates. Read more…
By KMJQ, on Nov 6, 2012 at 9:10pm
- CEC Meeting, Friday October 5th
Posted on September 30, 2012 by jake
There will be a short County Executive Committee (CEC) meetingFriday, October 5th from 6:00 pm to 6:30 pmAt the Communication Workers of America.
1730 Jefferson Street, Houston 77003Come at 6pm for our brief CEC meeting filled with exciting updates and info about the campaign.
Stick around for dinner and program sponsored by the Latino Labor Leadership Council celebrating five of our extraordinary local state representatives:
Rep. Alma Allen, Rep. Carol Alvarado, Rep. Jessica Farrar, Rep. Ana Hernandez-Luna and Rep. Senfronia Thompson.
If you are staying for dinner, please RSVP by emailing Virginia@hcdp.org or calling 713-802-0085.
All Precinct Chairs are expected to attend.
You are asked to wear your blue wristbands. If you do not have one, you can purchase one from the HCDP office at any time.
- “Black Women for Obama”
Black Women for Obama is a grassroots organization that serves as a political voice for Black women in the United States of America.
We are the mothers, the daughters, the sisters, the wives, the teachers, and the providers who believe that our nation needs leaders who will fight to bring stability back to our families, opportunity back to the masses, and hold greedy corporations responsible for their destructive practices.
- “Legitimate rape” by Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chair
Democratic National Committee
In a year that has brought us no shortage of stunningly backward statements from Republicans on issues affecting women’s health, the GOP Senate nominee from Missouri may have just taken the cake.This morning, Rep. Todd Akin, explaining his opposition to abortion even in cases of rape, said that victims of “legitimate rape” don’t get pregnant because “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”What exactly, Rep. Akin, is an “illegitimate” rape? And what are these unnamed “ways” women have of avoiding pregnancy after being (legitimately) raped?Now, Akin’s choice of words isn’t the real issue here. The real issue is a Republican party — led by Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan — whose policies on women and their health are dangerously wrong.I’m outraged at the Republicans trying to take women back to the dark ages — if you agree, join me in taking a stand for women.Really, it’s deeply concerning that Republicans continue to support legislation that is, quite literally, dangerous for women.Mitt Romney famously says he would “get rid of” federal funding for Planned Parenthood if he had the chance. His running mate, Paul Ryan, was one of more than 200 Republican cosponsors of a piece of legislation that would have narrowed the definition of rape.Can you imagine — the same Republican House that refuses to pass a jobs bill jumped at the opportunity to make life harder for victims of rape?
And what do Romney and Ryan think of Akin’s latest statement? They’ve been trying to distance themselves from it — but Congressman Ryan has already partnered with Akin on a whole host of issues that restrict women’s ability to make their own health care decisions.
This kind of “leadership” is dangerously wrong for women — and I can’t sit by and watch as these out of touch Republicans like Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and Todd Akin continue to roll back women’s rights.
It’s time for us to move forward — not back — on women’s rights. Take a stand for women now:
Debbie Wasserman Schultz Chair Democratic National Committee
- Email Spy software installed on Federal Workers Desktop and Laptop Computers
…when they use Gmail, Yahoo or other personal e-mail accounts on government
- Harris County Democratic Party “Precinct Chair Training”
- Harris County “Democratic” Election Results, July 31.
- The Harris County Early Voting Daily Record for the July 31st Election
- Beyoncé’s Letter to First Lady Michelle Obama
- On CFPB’s First Birthday, Watchdog Is Still Vulnerable To Possible Dodd-Frank Repeal
- Harris County Voter Registration Certificates
Some persons may be concerned about the very first sentence of the text on the back of the new voter registration certificates. The new (yellow and white) certificates were put in the mail April 24 and April 25.
The language in question is, “Upon federal approval of a photo identification law passed by the Texas Legislature in 2011, a voter must show one of the following forms of photo identification at the polling location …”
Please be assured:
- The photo ID law is NOT in effect. It will not be in effect for the May 12 uniform election or the May 29 primary elections. The photo ID law has NOT received federal approval.
- Registered voters can vote without photo ID until the law gets federal approval. (But bringing your registration certificate makes the process easier.)
- The Texas Secretary of State’s Office requires the exact language used on the back of the certificate issued by the Harris County Voter Registrar.
- If you need further information, please call the County Clerk’s Office at 713-274-9550.
EARLY VOTING in HARRIS COUNTY, TEXAS
Early Voting By Personal Appearance • Harris County’s registered voters may choose to vote prior to General Election Day during the early voting period at any one of the 37 Harris County early voting sites.
Click Here for Our Early Voting Locations & Schedule
Kashmere MSC, 4802 LOCKWOOD May 14-18, 2012
8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Top Ten Reasons to reelect President Barack Obama
1) ObamaCare allows children to stay on parents’ health insurance to age 26 while working part-time and finishing a degree.
2) Obama is working to reinstate banking regulations to prevent additional financial crises.
3) Obama supports fair tax rates for all including millionaires.
4) Joe Biden said it best: “Osama bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive.”
5) Obama reversed Bush torture policies.
6) He’s a lot more attuned to women’s issues.
7) Obama is ending Bush’s two unnecessary wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
8) GOP’s Paul Ryan wants to privatize Medicare throwing seniors under the bus.
9) Obama stays calm under fire and has a good sense of humor.
10) He’s not Mitt.
By Jimmy Dunne, President West Houston Democratic Club email@example.com (your comments are welcome)
Killing Democracy One Vote at a Time
Corporations, 1 percenters and Republicans want to take America back. And by that, they mean all the way to the 1780s when wealthy white men controlled the nation. Because only they could vote. In the intervening 230 or so years, America became increasingly democratic, eventually awarding the vote to white landless males; Quakers, Jews and Catholics; black men; women; Native Americans, and 18-year-olds. The wealthy are nostalgic for the power they enjoyed when most states limited voting to landed gentry. Republicans are … more
GOTV “Hardy Street Family Fun Day in the Park
Earl Henderson Park, 4189 Elysian (59 North and Collingsworth)
Saturday, April 28, 2012, 12:00 – 4:00 pm
Sponsored by Debbie Allen, Redistricting Community Organizer
VOTE May 29th, 2012
Voter registration cards will automatically be renewed and mailed in the end of April. Only registered voters who have changed addresses or names need to contact their local voter registrar (Harris County Voter Registrar) to update their registration or file a new application. Find out if you are registered to vote.